Translator

Thursday 4 April 2013



Living with Auditory Processing Disorder

Do you want to know about a life of a child with APD?  Everything i say will be in purple so you know how it feels and what I am going through.
Hi my name is Maya. I am 11 years old and live in a normal familly of 4 and 4 pets (3 hermit crabs and a cat). I have APD and some dyslexia. But you can’t see my disorders right away you have to know me well to really see them. I’m quite a normal girl with normal standards; I enjoy drawing and want to be a fashion designer when I grow up. Don’t I sound like a normal girl? Well I’m gonna tell you about how it feels to have APD……
I have read many blogs about parents writing about their kids but I'm gonna write about my self instead. First I shall talk about school. I'm in grade six, I was put into a class were many people had disorders such as ADHD. My teacher is the best grade six teacher in the school but my class does not listen all the time! Well anyway, in class I might zone out in the middle of a class discussion and all I would hear my teacher say is (this is a math example) "OK does anyone know what the common multiple of 14 is? OK it is mumble mumble blah blah blah mumble -silence- OK now do this work sheet!" then I would get the work sheet and not remember us talking about what to do wen all that time we were discussing it! Also its really hard for me to concentrate when half my class is talking and I'm trying to do my work. If I would have put soundless earplugs then I would be able to work calmly but now all I hear is yelling. I can't write my b's and d's correctly and I'm really bad at math and literacy in some places is the work curriculum.
Well that's all for this part of my small biography but I will be writing more!
please write any comments if you have questions or want me to add anything.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Maya,
    Thanks for visiting my blog. I look forward to reading more from your blog.
    Bev from Raising a Child with Auditory Processing Disorder

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maya, a lot of grown ups live with APD without knowing it, underdiognosed, struggling their way out. So as far as I think you have an advantage knowing your weak spot and you are doing great!!! You are very talented and smart, so do not worry, you will make it big time!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pasha,
      I'm glad you found my blog and thank you for those kind words!

      Delete
  3. Hello people that are interested in this blog!
    Since I go to a public school i will tell you anything I think will be important and interesting the mini articles will be called "QUICK SCHOOL NEWS" or "QUICK NEWS."
    So keep your eyes open for those titles!
    -Maya:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, and an APD adult, I also know the feeling of looking for information online and only seeing material from adults dealing with kids with the disorder. The struggles may continue, but first-hand accounts are important, and I commend you for creating that. And, I am fascinated by your hermit crabs -- are they in peat moss, as I have read can be done with them as pets at home, or do they also have some water to wade in?

    ReplyDelete